Programs and Services
The City of Kingston's No Smoking By-law prohibits smoking in all enclosed public places and work places as well as a number of newly designated outdoor places. In November of 2012, the City of Kingston approved the addition of the following outdoor places to the number of designated public places where smoking is prohibited:
- parks & beaches,sports fields & playgrounds,
- outdoor community meeting areas,
- within 3 metres of all entrances or exits of publicly accessible places and work places,
- within 9 metres of entrances or exits of municipal buildings, and
- within 9 metres of Kingston Transit shelters located at the Cataraqui Centre, Kingston Centre, and St. Lawrence College transfer points.
- For more information, contact the Tobacco Information Line at 613 549-1232 ext. 1333 or email email@example.com
Take Charge Secondary School Leadership Grants
This annual conference for secondary students from the KFL&A area focuses on leadership skills so that students can raise awareness about tobacco, alcohol and other drug use such as marijuana. Students will be able to receive a grant in order to create awareness campaigns designed for their own secondary school, elementary schools, or the community. Our goal is to assist youth in developing leadership skills while positively influencing their peers.
This interactive workshop for grade 7 and 8 students in the KFL&A area focuses on tobacco use prevention and is matched to the Health and Physical Education curriculum (substance use, addictions and related behaviours). Students attend four interactive stations and learn the effects of tobacco advertising and marketing, addiction, hazards of using tobacco, and the numerous costs of tobacco use.
Find out more about each station by following the Teens Trashing Tobacco station information link in the Resource section below.
Whether you’re trying to quit, trying to support someone who is quitting, trying to understand how smoke-free laws affect your business, or just looking for support in the community, the Tobacco Information line can help. 613-549-1232 or 1-800-267-7875, ext. 1333